Skip to main content

One Hour Rolls

These rolls are amazing!  I've been making these rolls since 2001 when I was a newlywed and my sister-in-law shared the recipe with me.  The rolls are light, fluffy, easy to make and they only take one hour!  And delicious too!  

I've made these rolls more times than I can count, so I've perfected the art of making them.  Here are some step-by-step instructions with pictures for you.

Here's what you'll need. 
I buy pretty much all of the ingredients in this recipe at Sam's club, thus the huge containers.  You need warm water, yeast, oil, sugar, salt, egg and flour.

In the mixer bowl, add warm water (not hot), oil, sugar and yeast.  Mix together.


After ten or fifteen minutes the yeast mixture should be puffed up like this.  Time to add the salt and beaten egg.

Then mix in the flour.  (I've used a mixture of half wheat and half white flour successfully.)

Keep adding flour until the dough is manageable.  It will be a little sticky, but add enough flour so it's not too sticky.  Let the dough rest in the bowl for 10 minutes.

Spray baking sheet (I use a cookie sheet) with non-stick spray or grease with something else.  

I like to spray my hands with non-stick spray when I form the dough into balls. Pull off a section of dough and pull the edges around to the bottom to form a ball. 

You should be able to make around 24 rolls, give or take, depending on how big you make them.  Let them rise for 20 minutes (or more is fine).  Or you can stick them in the fridge to slowly rise and you can bake them when you're ready later in the day. 

Ready for the oven.  Bake for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven or until lightly browned.

Ready to eat!

Here's the recipe...

1 Hour Rolls

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 c. warm water 
  • 1/4 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/3 c. canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp. yeast
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3 1/3 c. flour
Directions
  1. In a kitchenaid mixer bowl, mix together warm water, sugar, oil, and yeast. Let stand for 15 minutes until yeast mixture is bubbly.
  2. Stir in salt and beaten egg to yeast mixture.
  3. Gradually add flour. Dough will be kind of sticky, but add enough flour until it's manageable. Let dough rest in the kitchenaid bowl for 10 minutes.
  4. Spray hands with non-stick cooking spray and form dough into balls. Place balls so they don't touch on a cookie sheet (18" x 26" pan). Let rise for 20 minutes.
  5. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Makes about 24 rolls.
Photobucket

Want to try this recipe?  Pin it for later!   

Here are some of my other favorite "go-to" bread recipes...



More from Jenny:
Facebook icon Instagram iconTwitter icon Email icon

Popular posts from this blog

Don't like your house to smell like food? I've got a kitchen tip for that!

I have a smallish, one story house and if I cook food that is kind of smelly, like onions, the smell tends to linger in every room.  This is a pet peeve of mine and (also my husband's).  Over the years I've found a few ways to cook smelly food without smelling up the kitchen. Use your garage!   I use my garage quite often to cook things in.  I open the window and it airs out, especially when you open the garage door.  I'm sure my neighbors wonder what I'm cooking. I've used two different kitchen appliances in the garage:  my crockpot and my food dehydrator. Crockpot - I did this very thing today since I'm simmering chicken, onions, carrots and celery to make chicken noodle soup tonight.  I don't want my house to smell like onions all day, so I plugged it in on my husband's workbench.   Food dehydrator - when I make jerky, I plug the food dehydrator in in the garage.  I don't really want my house to smell like meat for hours

The Best French Bread I've Ever Made

This is the best french bread I've ever made.  I got this recipe from my friend, Nikki, who gave us some of this bread as a thank you for my hubby helping them move a piano.  I remember it being delicious and we gobbled it up fast.  I was intimidated for some reason by the recipe and waited a few years before I made it. We needed some bread for to make some turkey, provolone, avocado sandwiches, so I made some of this bread and it was perfect!  We sliced one loaf like they do at Subway.  Then later I made normal shaped sandwiches with the rest of the bread.  Delicious... light and fluffy and yummy! Update 2/22/12: This is still my favorite bread after making it for a year! It turns out perfect every time and it's gone in a flash! printable recipe French Bread recipe from my friend, Nikki Yield: 2 loaves   Ingredients 2 c. warm water 1 pkg (or 1 heaping Tbsp.) yeast 1/4 c. granulated sugar 1 T. olive oil